Monday, September 5, 2011

Favorite Summer Reads 2011

Well, it's amazing to me that I read as many books as I did this year--what with having at least one event a week and all my writing stuff. OK, so I neglected my writing stuff. ;) I read quite a few great books this year and it was really hard to pick out three favorites...but here they are.

Divergent by Veronica Roth
:

Wow!!!!!! I thought I liked The Hunger Games Trilogy, but I think this book beats them hands-down. Can't wait for the rest of the books in the series!

Pros: Sympathetic if not totally likable main character & I love her nickname). Interesting secondary characters and sympathetic love interest. Quick moving, complicated, compelling storyline. Some people say it drags in the middle (since much of the book is about her training) but I didn't think so.

Cons: One or two cuss words. Some sensuality. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 18 because of the previous points & the violence.

Description from Amazon page: One choice can transform you. Pass initiation. Do not fail! Thrilling urban dystopian fiction debut from exciting young author. In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior's world, society is divided into five factions -- Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) -- each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a "perfect society." At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives. On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family's group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy (MY NOTE: ehhhh, not really.), but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly "perfect society." To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.



The Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Child
:

OK, yes, a bit kitschy. I like them, though. They're relatively easy and clean reads (the two I read, anyway) and decent murder mysteries.

Pros: Easy, cozy-mystery reading. Yummy-sounding recipes & tea! ;) Perfect for a day at the beach or a long car ride.

Cons: one or two minor cuss words.

Description from Amazon page of Shades of Earl Grey: Indigo Tea Shop owner Theodosia Browning is finally invited to a social event that she doesn't have to cater-but trouble is brewing at the engagement soiree of the season...



Sword In the Stars by Wayne Thomas Batson:

Awesome cover! And good story, too. ;) I love how the main character struggles to be a "good guy" throughout the book. It seemed very consistent for who and what he was. Of course, it had moments of typical Wayne Thomas Batson humor and sticky "oops" situations. I like books that make me snicker.

Pros: Great main character and fun secondary characters. Freaky bad guys (is it just me or does Batson seem to have a gift for this?). Humor sprinkled throughout the book, sometimes in just the right place to give you a much-needed breath.

Cons: covers a long period of time.

Description from Amazon page: Haunted by memories of a violent past, Alastair Coldhollow wagers his life on the hope that a sword will appear in the stars and the foretold Halfainin, the Pathwalker, would come. Meanwhile, tensions simmer between Anglinore and the murderous Gorrack Nation, threatening war on a cataclysmic scale. The fate of all could rest on an abandoned child and the decisions of those who desperately seek to identify him. Sword in the Stars is the first release in The Dark Sea Annals series.

FULL REVIEW TO FOLLOW ON THE 3RD OF NEXT MONTH (OCTOBER).


**NOTE: I received Sword in the Stars free from AMG in return for posting an honest review.**

1 comments:

Lostariel said...

I have Divergent and Sword in the Stars on my booklist right now...

Post a Comment