Monday, August 1, 2011

Popcorn and a Movie: Thoughts on Voyage of the Dawn Treader


Since the movie version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has been reviewed and hashed to pieces, I just wanted to share my thoughts about it.
Let me start out with the Cons:
1) I was really afraid that they were going to go the Peter-I'm-the-High-King-so-I-can-do-anything-I-want route with Edmund at first. "I'm a king!" Well, no, not in this world, as Lucy points out. Thankfully, he doesn't stick with that very long (more on this in pros). Let's just say I would have been highly ticked if they'd messed up Edmund (I mean, seriously, he's the only character who made it through Prince Caspian without being screwed up. Leave off messing with my favorite characters already, Hollywood!).
2) They kind of whacked apart the storyline. And they added the "magical swords" (can you say Tolkien-esque AGAIN?). And the green mist. Again, Hollywood...grrr. However...
3) This is petty, but...Ben Barnes, round 2 = yuck. At least they let him act closer to his age.

Cons:
1) The green mist didn't kill the story as much as I thought it would. The way it threaded the temptations throughout the entire movie was pretty neat. OK, Hollywood, so it wasn't as complete of a failure as I thought.
2) Edmund doesn't stay an idiot like Peter did. In fact, his "I'm king of Narnia!" moments interestingly occur only when he's weak (ie driven nuts by the thought of staying with Eustace any longer) or tempted (Deathwater). Nicely done, in my opinion.
3) Eustace was perfect. I wanted to strangle that kid in the first part of the movie! And I thought I had annoying cousins? ;)
4) Reepicheep. 'Nough said! :D
5) They kept my all-time favorite scene in Narnia! The whole bit of leaving Narnia made me bawl (yes, I'm a softie!). Seriously, I started crying the instant they started rowing through the white flowers because I knew what was coming. I was so glad they kept Aslan's line:
Because there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
YES!!!!! :)
So here you are. My thoughts. I really liked The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, despite the changes. It was an improvement on Prince Caspian though they still didn't quite get up to the precedent set by The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Hopefully, they'll make the rest of the series because I really want to see The Silver Chair (my personal favorite) and, speaking from a movie standpoint, I think The Horse and His Boy would make an excellent movie.
PS: When we walked out of the theater from this movie, it was snowing. Absolutely perfect and beautiful enough to bring even more tears to my eyes!


0 comments:

Post a Comment