Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Top 10 Christian Fantasies, 2010

Here's a list of my top 10 Christian fantasies to date:

*Lord of the Rings (some people may find this dry and dull...I personally don't. Also, some may argue that it's not a "Christian" book. I think that even though it was published in the secular world, Tolkien's faith shone through the work. And truly, if you're considering writing fantasy, Tolkien is a must-read).

*The Chronicles of Narnia. (Once again, this wasn't strictly "Christian" fantasy. Lewis himself said that he didn't mean to make it allegorical. But as with Tolkien, his faith shone through his work. Another must-read for the fantasy writer.)

*The Door Within Trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson. (This is a very imaginative work, with lots of action. The only thing I regretted was not getting to spend more time in the world and discovering more about Glimpses.)

*The Dragonkeeper Chronicles. (Anyone who loves dragons has to read these books. Some people may not agree with the magic usage in them, but I think Paul did an amazing job setting magical boundaries.)

*The Curse of the Spider King by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper. (This book was amazing! I loved how our world intertwined with the Elvish one, Allyra, and the comings and goings between the worlds--fascinating! And they had some really creepy, imaginative bad guys...I'm envious that they came up with the Drefids! I'm looking forward to the sequel, Venom and Song.)

*Auralia's Colors by Jeff Overstreet. (This one I'm not sure about...for being an amazing, imaginative work of fiction with gorgeous description, it's one of my favorites. But I'm not sure where he's going with it...so we'll see)

* The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. (Once again, the comings and goings between our world and Otherworld are so cool! ery imaginative)

*Lonoma's Map by F.W. Faller. (It seems no one has ever heard of this book or the prequel, A Sword For the Immerland King. I love these books! The world building is incredible within itself--I mean, the author has a whole fantasy explanation of the moral guidelines in the world!)

*The Sword of Lyric series by Sharon Hinck. (OK, these books are cool. Way cool. The world is cool, the characters are cool, cool books!)

*Lilith by George MacDonald. (MacDonald's kids books I hear about often, but not so much his adult fantasies. This one takes a Jewish myth about Adam's first wife, Lilith, and turns it into an incredible fantasy set in another world.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment